Monday, April 14, 2014

Pulp and Other News, April 14, 2014

I've been recovering from my trip last week to Minneapolis (thank goodness we only ate one night at the Mall of America). While some of you might think, "wow, does it really take her 4 days to recover from a trip?" The answer is "Why,yes. Yes it does."

The truth is that I'm struggling with some old pain issues that have flared up. I can only be on the computer for maybe a 15-20 minutes at a time before I get a massive headache. It's all related to my neck and degenerative discs, something that flared up a few years ago and now has come back with a vengeance, kind of like a grizzly that gets woken up in the middle of hibernation. Not pretty. This is scary considering that 1) I have a job that requires me to look at a computer screen 8+ hours a day, 2) I'm writing a book, and 3) I'm trying to keep up my blog. So, obviously, something has to give. And I'm telling you that the book on Daisy Bacon is NOT going to be what gets cut. I'm not saying I'm suspending the blog, but just explaining why you haven't seen me as recently and why that might continue in the near future until this "issue" resolves itself.

Here are some pulp and non-related pulp items.

VERY exciting news for a fellow blogger and Facebook friend who kind of feels like someone I've known for a long time, even though we've never met. Melissa Amateis Marsh just had a nonfiction book released. NEBRASKA POW CAMPS: A HISTORY OF WORLD WAR II PRISONERS IN THE HEARTLAND, promises to be a fascinating read about a topic that hasn't received a lot of attention up until now. The book is on Amazon right now, and I'm ordering mine NOW. I think this one is going to be a big seller. Congratulations, Melissa!


Evan Lewis posted a review of GREEN ICE by Raoul Whitfield last Friday. GREEN ICE originally appeared in BLACK MASK, beginning in December 1929, under the title "The Crime Breeders."


There is a review of the new Mickey Spillane book KING OF THE WEEDS over at Pulp Fiction Reviews. If that sounds like a epic anachronism ("new"?), the reviewer explains: "According to co-author, Max Collins, this book represents the last of six substantial manuscripts Spillane left behind, and was intended to be the last in the series, before he started THE GOLIATH BONE in response to 9/11. It is also the sequel to the last Hammer published in Spillane’s lifetime, BLACK ALLEY (1997) but can be read as a stand alone entry in the series."

And Barry Traylor sent over a tip: next Monday, (April 21), beginning at 5 PM Pacific, Turner Classic Movies will feature a marathon of John Wayne movies, who is star of the month. But this is a good one: all but one of the movies are from the early 1930s, including THE BIG TRAIL. AND, in the middle of all that John Wayne B-movie extravaganza, TCM is showing a documentary, "Thou Shalt Not: Sex, Sin, and Censorship in Pre-Code Hollywood." For a complete schedule of that day, go here to TCM's schedule for April 21.

Here's a still from THE BIG TRAIL. I've never been one to swoon over John Wayne - not my type - but he was HOT in this movie.







Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Pain can be distracting that's for sure but I'm glad to hear that you are not going to cut back on your Daisy Bacon book, a project that has to be completed.

Barry Traylor said...

I sympathize Laurie as my wife has had a lower back fusion done plus a hip replacement. I do wish I could wave a magic wand for both my wife and you and make it all go away.

Alfred Jan said...

Since you do so much close work, are your glasses and/or contact lenses up to date? You do not want vision problems compounding your discomfort from those other sources.

Laurie Powers said...

Just got new glasses last month, so it's not that. I think it's just being immobile for any length of time makes my neck flare up. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I just realized that I forgot to put in all the great info about Windy City and the auctions - will do a post on them later today.

Barry Traylor said...

Forgot to say that the POW book looks interesting. The little that I have read in other history books seems to indicate that the German POWS were treated a lot better than ours were in Germany.